Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Music Videos, really?



I work in the music video industry. I am guessing that anyone reading this is simply really into music videos (or perhaps works inside the biz as well). Most people old enough to be out of high school do not spend much time watching videos, I am guessing you are not that kind of people.

I am not sure exactly what I am going to write about. The two heydays of video, the mid 80s and the late 90s, have passed and the industry is on to something else now. MTV barely plays videos at all, but there are more other outlets (from M2 to Fuse to Fuel) where videos are shown. Apple selling videos on iTunes is intriguing and that may lead us somewhere else all together. It will definitely be interesting.

Music videos are marketing. They are 4 minute commercials for bands and I love them. As the Lester Bangs character says in Almost Famous, "And then it just becomes an industry of... cool." That's what I do.

I want to write about the crazy, funny things that happen dealing with record labels, artists, directors and all the egos involved. The kind of work I do is not heavily involved with being on sets and hanging out with artists - so you won't hear juicy sex and drugs gossip from me. There are other places where you can read all about who does cocaine off of whose naughty bits.

Hopefully you will find it interesting.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?